Tips from the Nest
Here are some helpful tips to keep your house smelling and feeling fresh,
without opening your windows!
Scrub you garbage disposal with an old toothbrush!
Get rid of the gunk and food debris on the rubber splash guard by using an old toothbrush to scrub it, then throw some orange or lemon peel down the drain to release the citrus fresh smell, run the disposal for about 10 seconds, and let them sit for 10 – 15 minutes. After that just turn on the water, and throw some ice cubes down it to blast away any dirt and debris. Your drain will thank you!
Deodorize your dishwasher with vinegar
Put one or 2 bowls of vinegar on the top rack of your dishwasher. Run a full cycle with no dishes in it, immediately wipe it out with a microfiber rag upon completion of the cycle. The hot water will have loosened everything for an easy clean! While you’re at it grab that ole toothbrush again and use it to get the dishwasher filter clean! You will need to remove the bottom rack to access the filter, plop it in some hot soapy water and scrub it down! The toothbrush is ideal for this task.
And, Just for the smell of it…..
DIY Plug in Refills
Those Plug in room scents you buy at the store are full of chemicals, save yourself some money and give your home a natural scent by using this recipe for your own, homemade plug in refill!
Start by gently pulling the wick away from the plug container. Rinse it thoroughly to remove any lingering fragrances. Then fill it back up 1/2 to 1/3 full of your favorite essential oil and the rest of the way with water. Replace the wick, you should be able to hear it click into place. Shake well, because… oil and water… and plug it in!
Make a natural room spray with Vodka and essential oils
1 Cup water
1/2 cup Vodka
10-15 Drops of our favorite essential oil
Mix into a spray bottle and shake to combine, spray away!
Keep it fresh! Your busy enough, here are five things you can do on the daily to help keep your home looking fresh!
- Keep disinfecting wipes handy, after daily chores in the bathroom a quick wipe of the faucet and sink will keep your bathroom neat and tidy. Toothpaste splatters and stray hairs are just a wipe away!
- Everyone has heard it, if you take it out, put it back! A quick tidying up of your kitchen counters as a nightly routine will keep it looking neat and tidy, the same goes for your bathroom, put your jewelry and other items away before bed and you’ll wake up with a fresh outlook on your day. Put today’s clutter away today!
- Make your bed! If your not into tucking sheets in, just straighten them out and and throw your comforter back on in place. Going to bed each night in a tidy bed is relaxing and lends to a better nights sleep!
- Do one load of laundry each day. Who wants to spend their Saturdays doing laundry? Do one load a day and keep the laundry monster at bay!
- Keep the dust down by placing floor matts inside and outside of your door. They really work! Just vacuum or shake them out every few days and you’ll be helping your floors and base boards out.